Saturday, May 30, 2009

Inspiration Touches My Soul

Today, for the first time in a very, very long time, I was inspired to make a piece of art "just because". Mostly I have been making art for swap commitments and those are always done to the recipients specs as to theme and size, etc. Which is fine - and fun! But the creative spark to "just make art" has not been living inside of me for a while. I have joked that my muse is off vacationing in a tropical paradise without me, but honestly, it has been a little distressing! The feelings are all so much more complex...but I'll just let those rattle around in my brain for a while and not bore you with the details.
This is the piece I created (with digital elements) after finishing a book tonight:

It is called "Forgotten Flight" and was inspired by the book "Off Season" by Anne Rivers Siddons. Oh, and my art piece? It "looks" nothing like the plot of the book at all! But it grew out a concept in the book that 11 year old Lilly believes: That all people used to be able to fly, but we have forgotten how. That is one of the things that really stayed with me through the book. Sort of magical, don't you think?! And perhaps...plausible?! Nothing is impossible, I believe! :)

As a side note, I really, really loved this book! It is set in coastal Maine and there is something so alluring to me about that part of the country. I've never actually been there, but I would really love to see it before I leave this life. Also, while many online reviews say that the ending is confusing and they didn't like that part of it, I thought it made perfect sense. It's just that you have to read into it a little deeper, I think. If you are looking for an easily paced and bittersweet story to read on a warm afternoon, you should give this one a try. It really shows how we all carry the "ghosts" of our past with us through our lives.

2 comments:

SheaNC said...

A good book inspiring artistic expression... it's like a creative circle :)

Jennifer R.D. said...

Hi Tam,
I love your artwork! That sounds like a good book!
I have a call in to your muse to get her butt in gear!
Your blog looks very cool these days.
Big love,
Jenn