Friday, September 26, 2008

Shades of Blue - Literally and Emotionally

Here is the artwork I created for swap commitments this week:

This one is for PEGGY in the Mixed Media Madams Group. It is called "Peggy's Darling Garden" and the front is above and the back below. Peggy's pages are 6x6 and her theme is: What Do You See When You Close Your Eyes. Well, when I close my eyes and think about my sweet Mama P I think about: blue and white things, flowers, sweet little girls, and silliness (the hat). I really wish I had some google eyes, cuz that would have made this page perfect! Peggy, feel free to add those eyes if you wish! :)
Here is the next piece:
This one (again, top is the front, below is the back) is for JUDY in the alteredartchix group. Her theme was open and her colors were blue and brown with splashes of pink and white. I call this one "The Sisters' Journey". It is difficult to see and I cannot figure out how to let this thing make my pics bigger with clicking, but I used the masking tape technique by Claudine Hellmuth on these pages. Basically you cover the whole thing with tape going in all directions, use a bone folder to press it down really well, cover it with gel medium, let it dry and then paint it. It gives the piece some really neat texture, I think. :)

My final piece is an 8x8 for Debbie J. in the alteredartchix group as well. Her theme was vintage weddings in the color scheme of whites/off whites/browns and jewel tones. I call it "All I Have" and used a poem by Emily Dickinson as my inspiration. This piece also uses the masking tape technique. After the gel medium I added a tea-stain distress ink then painted with white paint. It has a nice texture and some color variation within the white, which I like. The top photo is the right page, the bottom one is the left page.




2 comments:

Maija said...

They are so wonderful, Tamara!
.Love the blue colors especially!

peggy gatto said...

I adore my blue flower garden pages!!!!! They are perfection.
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!